Frequently Asked Questions

Home Forums Customer Support Frequently Asked Questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Whether you’re just doing your research or are looking for clarification on your existing service, we’ve compiled the list of questions we hear most frequently below. Don’t see an answer to your question here? Start a new thread with your question and we’d be happy to answer.

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

What is the difference between the Standard Beacon vs. the 4G Beacon?
    Both beacons enable us to support all your connected devices at the flick of a switch. But only the 4G beacon comes with its own high-speed mobile internet plan with unlimited data. If you already have a data plan you love from your wireless carrier, cable company, ISP, or satellite provider, the standard beacon can work with your existing connection. Either way, once your beacon is installed, you have our IT professionals at your disposal should you encounter any difficulties with computers, tablets, phones, or any other devices connected to its pre-configured WiFi signal. Just flip the switch, call the number on the beacon, and our techs will assist you.

How is a “Support Beacon” different from a “Hotspot”?
    A hotspot is a device that shares a wireless internet connection with multiple other devices. Our support beacons do this too, but this is where the similarities end. The operative word is “support” — when you need technical help, flip the switch and our beacons become a gateway to a team of support professionals ready to assist you. They are pre-configured with a suite of troubleshooting tools and diagnostics that allow us to remotely address issues you may be experiencing on any connected device.

When I become a customer, do I own my support beacon?
    All of the equipment required to provide you service is pre-configured to work with our support network, meaning it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for our customers to own it. Instead, our equipment is leased to you, and the cost is included in your monthly subscription fee. We like to think this is of benefit to our customers. Since we own your beacon, if it ever stops working its our job to replace it to ensure your service continues!

Who uses these beacons from theRVITguy.com?
    Well, when we started the business, we were intent on serving the RV community. But it turns out our services are a great fit for truck drivers, construction contractors, inter-coastal boaters, food trucks, seasonal getaways, business travelers, aging parents… basically anyone! We love nothing more than to hear from a new customer using the service in a way we’ve never imagined.

4G DATA

Is your 4G data really unlimited? Really??!
    Yes! Really! Our data plan gives you unlimited 4G LTE data for one fixed price every month. There are no caps or throttle points that slow your speeds automatically once you’ve consumed a pre-determined amount of data. Your internet speed will be determined by the signal strength at your current location. The only exception where your usage may affect your speed is in instances where there is significant network congestion at your location. Only during times of high network congestion, the bandwidth of users with greater than 50GB of consumption in the given billing period may be deprioritized in order to ensure fair access to users who have consumed less. Once you move to a different location or the congestion eases, your speeds will likely resume. And once the new data cycle rolls around, your usage will be reset.

Where will I have data coverage?
    We operate on the nation’s fastest, most advanced LTE network, delivering your 4G data coast-to-coast across the US. All of our 4G beacons will also roam at LTE speeds for up to 5GB per billing period throughout Canada and Mexico at no additional cost!  For information on coverage in your specific location, give us a call or click the icon in the lower left hand side of your browser window to type to us and we’ll verify the signal!

ORDERS & SHIPPING

How much will it cost me to sign up?
    To get started, just pay the first month of service ($59 for the standard beacon or $99 for the 4G beacon) plus a one-time $75 setup fee. This fee covers configuration of your equipment, account setup, service activation, and shipping and handling.

When will I receive my beacon?
    We strive to ship out as many orders as we can same-day, but please allow 1 business day for processing. Every order includes USPS Priority 2-3 day shipping.

Can I get my equipment faster?
    Yes. If you need your beacon faster, call us at (414) 399-1687. Rush processing with overnight delivery to US destinations is available for an additional $50 fee.

BILLING & PAYMENT

What forms of payment do you accept?
    We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

How does payment work for monthly subscriptions?
    All monthly payments are pre-paid and automatically billed to the credit card you use when signing up for service. You will also receive an e-mail each month confirming receipt of payment. To change your method of payment, login to the website with your username and password created at sign-on, or just call us and we’d be happy to do it for you, (414) 399-1687.

SETUP

I just received my shipment, now how do I get setup?
    You probably noticed there is no user manual or setup instructions in the box… that’s on purpose! What kind of tech support company would we be if we started you out with that task? Call us at (414) 399-1687 and we’ll setup your equipment so it works with all your devices and internet connectivity. We’ll run a few test from our side and ensure you can connect to our support “mothership”.

SUPPORT

Help! I’m having an issue with my (PC, Mac, phone, tablet, connection… whatever). How do I get support?
    First, breathe. Then flip the help switch on your beacon to the “up” position and call (414) 399-1687. Help is on the way!

PAUSING & CANCELLATION

I need to pause my service, but I intend on re-starting it in the near future. Is this allowed?
    Yes it is. For $25, we can pause your subscription for up to 90 days. This lets you keep your custom-configured equipment and resume service at any time. Just call us at (414) 399-1687 to make arrangements.

I would like to cancel my service, how does this work?
    We hate to lose you as our customer, but we understand. Just call us at (414) 399-1687. We’ll e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label to return your equipment. Just drop it in the mail within 5 days to close your account. But if there is anything we can do to improve your experience and keep your business, we want to know.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  admin.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  admin.
    #1786 Reply

Donna Bonn

Re your FAQ “Where will I have data coverage?” Specifically the sentence: All of our 4G beacons will also roam at LTE speeds for up to 5GB per billing period throughout Canada and Mexico at no additional cost!

How is this different than Throttling? We recently made a trip through Canada to Alaska and back. My unlimited service was fine in Alaska, but was heavily throttled in Canada (0.5gb per 24 hour period). It sounds like your service would be about the same! (Our usage {on trips} averages 1gb per day when not throttled.)

Also, I assume you cannot provide coverage in areas without LTE/4G service…which includes a LOT of Northern BC & the Yukon in Canada, plus Alaska.

I look forward to your reply!

Donna Bonn

#1787 Reply

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Donna, thanks for your question.

We deliver our service over a 4G LTE cellular signal, which means we operate via carrier agreements with the companies that maintain the cell tower infrastructure. The data plans we use to deliver connectivity are intended to be used predominantly in the United States, but do include a modest allotment of ‘roaming’ data to be used when travelling through Canada and Mexico.

Until recently, we were able to offer full unlimited, un-throttled LTE throughout North America, but unfortunately, our carrier agreement was amended to remove that feature. As someone who travels to Canada frequently, I was especially bummed about that development. We have been unable thus far to negotiate for its re-introduction (but we will continue the effort to restore unlimited service throughout North America).

That said, I want to clear up the difference between data capping and data throttling. Capping is when your plan limits you to a set amount of data usage, after which your data either stops or overages kick in and you get charged per GB or per MB thereafter. Our plans do not do this. You will continue to receive unlimited data service after your 5GB of high speed LTE in Canada/Mexico each month is exhausted. At that point, the speeds are throttled down to between 128-256 kbps. This is a limited speed, keeping you connected for modest web browsing and email, but it would not be sufficient for high-bandwidth activities like large file downloading, streaming or gaming.

So, yes, you are right. While our service includes unlimited, uncapped data throughout North America, it is only accurate to say that it is un-throttled in the United States, and offers a fixed 5GB high-speed data allowance each month for travel in Canada and Mexico.

#1801 Reply

Julie

What does it mean on your home page where it says “works with any internet connection?” Does this equipment need an ISP to work or does it provide its own wifi network?

#1802 Reply

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Julie, thanks for your question.

We sell two different beacons: one with its own unlimited built-in 4G internet connection and one that plugs into your existing ISP or phone data plan. Both beacons come with unlimited personal tech support for all your attached devices, via our remote virtual support tunnel that allows a technician to troubleshoot your devices from afar. And both broadcast their own WiFi network to which you attach those devices. The only difference is where they source their internet connection. Our $99/mo beacon has its own 4G module attached, whereas the $59/mo beacon relies on internet from a cable modem, DSL modem, satellite, or tethered mobile device.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Frequently Asked Questions
Your information: